[gui-talk] political websites

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Wed Nov 5 18:52:57 UTC 2008

The machine I used was a touch screen machine with what I believe to
be RealSpeak voice prompting.  It was usable, but the lesson I learned
was to avoid rushing it.  I once tried to retreat through the list of
candidates for an office by pressing the Back button three or four
times rapidly.  It took me some five minutes to get the machine on the
right track again after that.  During that time, I would hit a button,
wait for a few seconds, then hear usually two responses from buttons I
had hit some time ago, and nothing about the button I just hit.  I was
about to raise my hand in frustration to ask to be switched to a paper
ballot, when the thing finally got itself in order and let me
continue.  After that, I had no further problems.  The responsiveness
of the voice system is pretty slow, but then I'm a computer guy, so
half the world talks slowly. <grin>