[gui-talk] Polling place access (was Re: political websites)

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Nov 6 19:50:30 UTC 2008

I do a lot for myself. A very lot. I've only been seriously low vision for
less than ten years of my 64, and in this case I chose to not care so much
about the principle of doing everything for myself if it was going to be as
much of a hassle as it turned out because the polling place was as jammed
and noisy as it was and the precinct volunteer didn't have the time to
explain things clearly to me, and I was all alone with no one to help clear
up for me what was happening,  or why I didn't have complete control of the
device if it was there for the sake of my blind access, until a kind
stranger intervened, which I considered a welcome miracle, because it used
to be with my eyes that I could appeal for help to someone nearby in a
difficult situation, an ability that's gone now with the loss of macular
vision. So as far as I'm concerned, it worked out fine because I was willing
to hang loose and not stand on the kind of principle that's so often held up
in blind circles as being the only acceptable way to go if you don't want
everyone to think people with white canes should just sit on the corner
selling pencils. I don't identify with that way of thinking about life in
connection with losing my vision, except when it really matters to me, in
which case I'm principled and not a bit shy or lazy. But in this case, I was
fine with being rescued, not defeated or humiliated. Not at all. To each his
own when it comes to doing what feels appropriate and good for the
self-esteem and confidence. Everyone's mileage varies, to make a turn on the
popular mailing list disclaimer which has joined the phrase In My Humble
Opinion (IMHO).
<lauraeaves at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [gui-talk] Polling place access (was Re: political websites)

Ok, I just am one who likes doing things myself. FWIW, a family member was
there also and could have helped me, but I wanted to experience voting
independently for the first time in my life.
Oh well.  It has been fascinating political year -- but it's good it's
over -- back to the normal stuff in the news, and boring late night
comedy...  (I had to laugh at Saturday Night Live last Saturday, the skit
with McCain on QVC because he couldn't afford any of the major networks.
He then tried selling some "McCain Fine Gold" and a bunch of other
commemorative items.  It was hilarious.
But now it's all over.  Enjoy and take care.
--le