[gui-talk] Fwd: Press Release: New Cross WalkSafety SystemForTheVisually Impaired

Rick Roderick rickrod at insightbb.com
Fri Nov 7 14:31:05 UTC 2008

I would  like to see a different approach taken to this problem, or, at
least, a supplemental one.

I am blind and hard of hearing.  I wear a cochlear implant in one ear and a
hearing aid in the other.  Although I can hear traffic, I have a great deal
of difficulty with directionality.

The device I envision would have a camera that could be worn on the head,
perhaps, in a helmet.  As traffic went across, the camera would detect this.
Feedback could be given through headphones or through gloves or wrist  bands
that would vibrate.

I would also  like to have the information about the state of lights, but
this would give me the all-important information  about traffic flow  that I
need to be safe.