[gui-talk] Speaking of AVG: Update isn't working today

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Nov 8 23:28:32 UTC 2008

I've never encountered this situation ever before with AVG. Maybe others who
use it and know their way around it as I do can shed some light on this.

Today This morning,I decided to run my AVG scan. So I launched the program,
heard Jaws announce that the application was "initializing components." So
far, so good. At this point, as other users will know, a window listing
program components and giving statistics about usage obscures the program
interface so that you can't access the menu line to do anything. But the
virtual cursor won't navigate this by tabbing or using the arrow keys, so I
switch to the Jaws cursor, and look through the information presented there.

The stats gave the date and time of my last scan, and also gave the date and
time of the most recent automatic update that the program performs each
morning.

It said that it had performed the update half an hour before but,
contradictorily (unless this discrpancy is explained by the program not
having been written so as to say something like "update attempted" if it
wasn't successful. Which is fine. I'd change the programming so that if the
update failed, it wouldn't still say that it did the update. But that's me.

anyway, as I've given away, there was a message saying that the update had
failed. The gist of it was that the update servercouldn't be reached and
downloaded from. It advised me to check my Internet settings and so forth,
and left open the possibility that the server itself may be the cause of the
problem and maybe I should try later.

Well, I've tried periodically since about 9 AM, and come up with the same
result every time. I try to run the update function, and it presents a
message verifying that the update has been done but at the same time saying
it has failed, and giving the same reasons as when I looked at that
components status list when I first launched AVG earlier. So it's not
working yet.

Anyone have this happen to them, too? Is there a link or an area at avg.com
where they give news about this sort of thing, and maybe a projected time
for resolving the issue if it's something they're working on?

thanks