[gui-talk] JAWS and 64 bit Operating Systems

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Nov 11 11:37:57 UTC 2008

The simple answer to your question is no.  JAWS does not support
64-bit versions of Windows at this time.  They are working on it, but
are not forthcoming about when this might happen.

Unfortunately, people are getting caught with this, because until
recently 64-bit Windows was not offered on home-retail computers and
people haven't known to check to see if the Operating System is 32 or 64 bit.

You can either return the laptop or see if you can get 32-bit Windows
to run on it.

Dave

With System Access offering 64-bit support competitive pressure will
force Freedom Scientific to do so, but I wouldn't expect to see
anything before the spring of 09 -- my opinion, I don't know anything
specific.  I would expect GW Micro to offer it too, but who knows when.

It is more complex for them FS and GW to do so, as they are more
complex products then System Access.

Dave