[gui-talk] Fwd: Cisco courses for the vision impaired

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Sat Nov 29 08:37:19 UTC 2008

All prices mentioned in this message are in Australian dollars.  -Steve.

From: Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
To: vip-l vip-l at softspeak.com.au

Yes it is that time again, we have sufficient funding (barely) to run
the
Cisco courses for the vision impaired again in 2009.
You can find the leaflet on these courses at
http://www.cucat.org/promo/

Radio interviews on this program are at
http://www.cucat.org/caviaudio/

Cost for courses is $75 per semester per course; a full study load is
$300 a
year.
These funds go to the association for the Blind in WA, any extra funds
you
may wish to donate to this cause should be donated on www.cucat.org and
would be greatfully received.

These courses are Vendor certifications and are highly recognized in
industry.
They are one of the steps along the road to a potential IT career for
someone with a vision impairment.

Courses can be taken either locally, (for WA students) or remotely via
Ventrilo for other students.
Lectures are on Wednesday (Discovery) and Friday (ITE1) at 11am Eastern
standard time.
All course material is online and provided.
Lectures can be downloaded and attendance is not compulsary however
instructors are not available at all times to answer your questions
outside
course hours and communication is via email or skype via arrangement
outside
hours.
Inside hours we are available to answer questions.
Attendance of the lectures however does give you the ability to interact
and
ask questions in the class group.

Any students should have strong Jaws skills, know how to control their
computer and audio mixer, be able to install software with guidance and
be
willing to learn.

If you don't know any of the above you need to be willing to learn these
skills quickly on your own with minimum help.
We do not teach Jaws, basic access the internet skills or how to use
basic
applications like Word.

We do provide hints and tips in advanced Jaws usage to help you navigate
the
applications we expect you to use.

Courses include a lot of hard work, and you can expect to put in a day
of
work per course per week possibly more.
At the end of the course you will receive a certificate for your
studies,
and the opportunity to continue on to bigger and more complex courses or
start your career in IT.

Your pc should have at least 1gb ram, 10gb free disk and be 1ghz or
faster
in order to run Vmware and the virtual machines we use for lab
exercises.
You are expected to have your own adaptive software, Jaws/Windoweyes or
System Access. NVDA or the free screen readers will probably not be
sufficient.

You will need access to a reliable internet connection, broadband
required.
Any connection >64kbps should do.
You should be able to download a reasonable amount of data per month,
2-3gb,
or be willing to wait for cds to be mailed to you and work rapidly when
this
occurs.

As a distance student you should be self-motivated, organized and ready
work hard.
For more information email me personally,
kerry at gotss.netor contact the entities in the leaflet.

These courses are not blessed by centerlink, and will not allow you to
claim
for Pes, they do not map to the AQTF framework although we tried.

Regards, Kerry.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
Windows Live Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com