[gui-talk] Fwd: BookSense 1.1 Public Beta Released

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Tue Aug 11 09:49:04 UTC 2009

From:	jeremy at gwmicro.com
To:	gw-info at gwmicro.com

Greetings,

GW Micro is proud to announce the release of the first-ever public beta
for the BookSense!

Since its release just over a month ago, the BookSense has become
internationally recognized as the most advanced book reader available.
After the release, we found some issues that we believe needed addressed
in a very timely manner. We have been specifically focusing on stability fixes,
as well as bug fixes. This public beta addresses many of those issues to help
ensure another rock-solid product, which GW Micro has become known for in
the industry. We have done extensive testing with our private beta testers, and
although this is a public beta, we believe it to be very stable, and address many
of the issues that have been presented to us.

This software will be in public beta for a period of time, and once we feel that it
is ready, we will release it as a final version.

As we indicated during our initial product release, we still intend to have a firmware
version that supports RFB&D, protected WMA files, and we will also be adding other
features that have been requested. This support will be forthcoming in another firmware
release.

You can download the firmware from
www.gwmicro.com/Support/Downloads/?category=BookSense+Support+Files.
When you download the firmware, it will contain a text file with all of the changes
that have been made.

For instructions on how to upgrade the firmware, you can navigate to
www.gwmicro.com/kb1107.
For your convenience, you will find the article below:

GWKB1107 : Upgrading The BookSense Firmware

This Knowledge Base article applies to both the standard BookSense (ruby
red) and the BookSense XT (off white).

From time to time, there will be a new update to the BookSense. The updates
are made available by means of an image file called a firmware update.  In
order for your BookSense to take advantage of the new features,
enhancements, or bug fixes, you must install the new firmware onto your
BookSense.

Downloading and Extracting The BookSense Firmware

When there is new firmware to download, it will be available as a zip file
from the downloads section of our web site. Upgrading the firmware requires
that you first download the firmware zip file from a PC. Once the zip file has
been downloaded, you need to extract the contents to the root of your SD
card (secure digital card).

To download the firmware update from your PC, do the following:

1. Insert your SD card to the BookSense and connect it to the PC. It is
important to take note of the drive letter of the SD card.

2. Point your web browser to: http://gwmicro.com/Support/Downloads

3. Depending on which BookSense model you want to update, choose
either the "BookSense Standard (ruby red)" or the "BookSense XT (off
white)" link from the list.

4. The firmware will be packed in a zip file. Choose the appropriate version
and press ENTER on the download link to begin downloading the zip file.

5. If your browser prompts you to save or open the file, choose save.  If
prompted for a file name, we recommend keeping the original file name.

6. Once the zip file has been downloaded to the PC, navigate to the
location of the file and press SHIFT-F10 on it.

7. Up or down arrow to the menu item called "Extract All". Then
press ENTER to open it.

8. A dialog box will open. Press ENTER on the "Next" button.

9. An edit box will prompt you for the location where the files should
be extracted to. Type the drive letter of your SD card followed by a
colon and a backslash. Example: "E:\".

10. If you don't know the drive letter of your SD card, you may press
TAB to select the "Browse" button. Then you can select the drive using the
"Select a Destination" dialog box. It is important to extract the firmware files
directly to the root of the SD card and not inside a folder.

11. Once the path has been selected, tab to the "Next" button and press
ENTER.

12. At this point the PC will begin extracting all of the files to the root
of the SD card. This may take several minutes as the files are relatively
large. Once the firmware files have been extracted, navigate to the
"Finish" button and press ENTER.

13. Close any open windows you may have by pressing Alt-F4 on each. Then
disconnect the BookSense from the PC by way of the "Safely Remove hardware"
program of the "System Tray".

The aforementioned steps assume you are familiar with connecting and
disconnecting the BookSense to and from the PC. If you are not, please
refer to KB1104 - Connecting and Disconnecting the BookSense To and From
the PC (www.gwmicro.com/kb1104) for assistance.

Performing the Actual Firmware Upgrade

Once the firmware files are in the root of the SD card and the BookSense
has been disconnected from the PC, you are ready to upgrade your
BookSense.

To perform the actual firmware upgrade, do the following:

1. Connect the AC charger to the BookSense.

2. If the BookSense is not already powered on, press the play/pause button
for 2 seconds to power it on.

3. Press the stop/cancel button to close any files or books you may have open.

4. Press the menu button to open the main menu.

5. Press up or down arrow until you reach the advanced menu item. Then
press right to open it.

6. Press up or down arrow to choose upgrade. Then press the menu
button to choose this option.

7. The BookSense will search the root of the SD card and if it finds the
firmware, it will ask you if you want to upgrade the firmware. Press the
menu button to choose Yes and continue.

The BookSense will inform you that it will be restarted. When the
BookSense restarts itself, you will hear a series of beeps as the new
firmware is written to the BookSense. This process can take a few
minutes. Once the firmware has been successfully installed, the BookSense
will reboot once more.

Once you hear the startup music and the female voice speaking,
it is safe to start using the BookSense. To verify that you are using
the new firmware, press the menu key and navigate to the global options
menu. Then arrow to the system status menu and press the menu key to
open it. While in the system status dialog box, press the up or down
arrows to hear the status. One of the lines will read out the firmware
version along with the release date. Once you verify that the new
firmware has been successfully installed, you should remove the firmware
files from the SD card. Please note that you must use your PC to remove
the firmware files from the SD card.

Troubleshooting the Firmware Upgrade

The following are some troubleshooting tips in no particular order
in case the firmware does not update or in case something does
not seem to be working correctly after updating. If you are having
trouble upgrading the firmware of the BookSense and none of the
following tips are helping, please contact GW Micro technical support.

    * If you attempt to install older firmware on the BookSense rather than
newer one, the BookSense will prompt you if you are sure. Only continue
with this if you are sure that you want to go back to an earlier release.

    * Sometimes one of the voices of the BookSense may not work
properly after upgrading the firmware. if this happens, you must do a
factory reset of the BookSense by pressing the number 4 button. While
holding the 4 button, press the reset button with the end of a toothpick.
However you must keep pressing the 4 button for up to 20 seconds. Once
you release the button, the BookSense will reboot itself.

    * If for whatever reason the firmware is not upgrading from the upgrade
option in the advanced menu, you can upgrade it by pressing the cancel
and the 9 buttons at the same time. While holding these buttons, press the
reset button with the end of a toothpick, but keep holding the cancel and 9
buttons until you hear the system will be restarted message.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
MSN Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com