[gui-talk] Downloading to NLS digital player

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 13 02:50:04 UTC 2009

Sherri,

There were only 54 titles on cartridge a month or two ago when I started
using my player. I'm a big reader, to put it casually, but none of those 54
appealed to me, although I played around with one just to get the hang of
the player's controls. Then I signed up for the BARD catalogue and began
downloading, as they have a *whole* lot more titles online at this time.

As I say, they're supposed to start producing and selling blank cartridges
eventually, whereupon I'll happily go to them. They're not bound to cost
much, and I'll be happy not to have to stick a thumb drive into the little
player anymore. They built that baby like a tank in order to protect it
against mistreatment and breakage, but having to stick a thumb drive into it
makes it suddenly and absurdly vulnerable, because you have to be carefully
how you handle it then so that you don't snap off the thumb drive. it's like
a sedative dart sticking out of the hide of an elephant. Silly. Hopefully
just transitional.