[gui-talk] Downloading to NLS digital player

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Aug 13 14:42:34 UTC 2009

Sherri,

This question has been answered in bits and pieces over the last day or so so I know this is confusing.  However, NLS books are all recorded in such a way that
they cannot be played on any device unless that device has been authorized to play them.  Since NLS players are made specifically for that purpose, they are
already authorized to play books from NLS.  It doesn't matter if they are downloaded or if the book comes on one of the new cartridges.  This means that people who
have the NLS machines do not have to worry about the "key" or authorizing their machine because this was more or less done at the factory.  NLS machines can
only be distributed to people who qualify for library services.

Other devices such as the Stream and the Book Sense can be used for all kinds of things and people who do not qualify for NLS books such as those in other
countries might well find these devices useful.  Therefore, the ability to play NLS books cannot be built in at the factory because the factory doesn't know who will
be buying the device.  Therefore, a "key" or actually a small file that is coded to the serial number of your device, has to be created that will "unlock" the ability of
your stream to play NLS books.  This key is free, in the case of NLS, and can only be created for the Stream by Humanware after the library has confirmed that you
are authorized to get NLS books.

I hope this is clear and that I haven't just caused more discussion.  While this is a somewhat complex topic, it is made more complex by the fact that some responses
have been delayed and occasionally incorrect information has been accidentally provided.