[gui-talk] Daydreaming about PC laptops. Any comments?

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat Aug 15 16:59:56 UTC 2009

I think you will want to go to a computer store and examine some of the
offerings.  To accommodate DVD playback, screens are becoming wider compared
to their height, which is a good thing for providing a half-decent keyboard
with a smaller screen.

I read PC World in braille from NLS.  Every month they emphasize different
kinds of laptops and netbooks in their ratings, and the field seems to be
very full of products that are not too dissimilar but may contain gotchas.

Smart Computing and Consumer Reports are available for download on the NLS
BARD website; Consumer Reports issues include the alphabetical index of what
has been reviewed during the previous twelve months, which you might want to
use in order to spot the correct issue to download.  I don't read Smart
Computing, but my impression is that it covers a pretty wide range of
interests, and is more down-to-earth than PC World.  Anything you read in
these magazines will be becoming obsolete, so I would look at the reviews
not for specific models but for features.  The most recent reviews are
available to all and sundry from www.pcworld.com , and presumably Smart
Computing has a comparable website.

The information is out there, but it is going to require some research and a
lot of folow-up questions to come up with good answers.

Netbook is not a brand name, but a form factor and performance level.  Some
netbooks run Linux, but most of them run Windows with a low-powered
processor such as an Intel Atom, Celeron, etc.  In benchmark results, they
may run one-third as fast as a so-called "power laptop" or "desktop
equivalent" laptop, but this is enough to run a screen reader and do many of
the things you are doing.  Handling a database of thousands of e-mail
messages, though, might be slower.  Some of these units use a solid-state
flash-based drive for the operating system and all data, but I think more
and more of them have a hard drive.  But the keyboard is smaller, and
therefore there are some compromises.  That's why you really need to examine
some units in a store or a friend's house.

I am using a Laptalk, which was sold by Beyond Sight in 2002.  It has no
screen, has a 1 GHz Intel Celeron processor and 256 MB of RAM.  I don't want
to try running the most recent versions of Window-Eyes on it, because memory
would probably be too low.  This unit is old, but I can still use it
occasionally on travel, taking notes in meetings, surfing the web with IE 7
at a painfully slow rate, etc.  I don't know what I will replace it with, or
how soon I will do so.  But it did, and still does, make more sense to me
than a specialized notetaker, at least for the things I wanted to do.  Even
though I can afford newer stuff, I'm basically cheap.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls