[gui-talk] magazines on NLS BARD site

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sun Aug 16 19:41:18 UTC 2009

Albert,

I took your advice and looked on the BARD site for consumer Reports and
Smart Computing. I'm downloading Smart Computing at this moment (which may
take half a day, as my download speed has already dropped from 40-something
into the 20s, and will probably keep dropping if prior experience is any
guide). Good start, you may say.

But then I'm not a Stream user or whatever. All I've got is the NLS digital
player, and I'm in the middle of listening to a novel (the Barbara
Kingsolver one we were talking about) and of course that's on an otherwise
BARD-free thumb drive plugged into the side of my player.

Now, if I feel like taking a listen to this magazine issue when it's finally
on my hard drive in three hours, I have no option but to somehow move the
novel off my thumb drive and replace it with the magazine, or else the
digital player will get confused. That's a firmware issue they're very vague
about an ETA for resolution.

And no, I don't have yet another available thumnb drive to donate to the
cause. Well, maybe when I finish with the magazine, taking notes if I must
as I go along and there are brand names or models of items I want to
remember, I can just delete or transsfer its files (many of them, with this
BARD thing) and copy the novel's files back onto the thumb drive, then use
the navigation keys to come as close as possible to where I left off
reading.

what a drag.

But does this sound logical? I really want to do a little bit of reading
about current computers from a general rather than blind point of view, and
only then check around to see how Jaws-friendly this or that product might
be. But first I need to understaend what's been happening lately with
notebooks in a more general sense, as I know they've gone through some
changes, mostly for the better, although I'm sure there are negatives to be
aware of.
What fun.