[gui-talk] the BARD shufffle- Maybe I'm not so dumb, after all

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sun Aug 16 20:48:58 UTC 2009

I figured out a method (refer to my earlier post):

I of course downloaded Smart computing to a folder where I wanted it and
unzipped it. But then of course I had to put it onto that thumb drive I
stick into the NLS digital Player, and I had to clear that thumb drive of a
BARD-downloaded novel I'm in the middle of reading. Because the software of
the player can't deal with anything more complicated. Like having two books
in two folders on that thumb drive.

So herein created a second folder for the novel I'm listening to and moved
the files from my thumb drive into that folder. I kept the original
downloaded stuff, too, just in case, but in another subfolder under the
author's name. My hope is that when the time comes, if I copy the new stuff
onto the thumb drive again, the player will be able to remember where I left
off, rather than my having to navigate to that point.

And then of course I unzipped and copied the Smart Computing  files  onto
the thumb drive, and of course it's playing fine on the player.

Now I won't find out until later whether my updated cluster of files for
that novel, if I copy them to the thumb drive, will clue in the player's
firmware as to where I left off listening, but everything is backed up, as
we say, so it's a worthy experiment.

Ah, the gymnastics. They really should have made that download/player deal a
little more sophisticated and flexible, in terms of programming. Even just a
little. Oh, well.