[gui-talk] Word 2003 help

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 13:42:05 UTC 2009

Ah, thanks -- you're a life saver.
--le

----- Original Message -----
From: "John DeWitt" <john at 4dewitt.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [gui-talk] Word 2003 help

Officially, the INSERT Key toggles between Insert and Overwrite mode while
using Word. Since the INSERT Key is taken over by JAWS most of the time,
there is a JAWS command to use the next key pressed for its nonJAWS
function.

Using the JAWS command INSERT + 3 (on the top row of keys), permits the next
keystroke to be used for its non-JAWS function. Press INSERT + 3 followed by
Insert again. This should toggle back from Overwrite to Insert mode.

You may ask, "How did I activate Overwrite mode to begin with?" It probably
went this way:

While inside a Word document, you probably pressed CTRL + ALT + I. That is
the native Windows keystroke combination to toggle between Insert and
Overwrite modes. So, if while in a Word document, you press CRTL + ALT + I
again, you will be back in Insert mode rather than Overwrite mode.

Good luck.