[gui-talk] Which companies should I contact?

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat Dec 5 15:39:48 UTC 2009

The most serious remediation work is being done by the US government under
Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, which has been in force for 9 years
now.  Section508.gov might be a starting point for the accessibility
regulations and perhaps relevant companies and conferences.  Deque Systems
has done a lot of work with the NFB on automated web accessibility testing.

I think that it's going to be difficult to convince people that their page
layout program (Publisher, Quark Express, InDesign) are not the best thing
since sliced bread.  If you can figure out a way, acceptable to users and
creators, of bridging the divide between reflowable content and paged (laid
out) content, you may be on to something.  Contrast the Epub format
(International Digital Publishing Federation) versus formats for the Kindle,
PDF, etc.  I serve on the committee which develops the Z39.86 ANSI/NISO
standards for digital books, and we are working on a new version of that
standard which is more in line with the EPUB format.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls