[gui-talk] Still hassling with my laptop keyboard

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 30 03:55:06 UTC 2009

Hi, Joel.

I own a 7-year-old laptop which has no screen, a LapTalk.  My typing is not
as accurate on it as it is on a desktop computer, partly because of the
layout.  When this PC was being sold by Beyond Sight, they glued LocDots
onto the F4, F8, F12 and Enter keys.  It might also be good to put LocDots
onto the F and J keys.  Depending on your tactile sensitivity, you might
want another one on the 5 of the numeric pad or some other strategic
location.  You don't want to apply too many dots, or they lose their
usefulness.

After all this, if I want to type rapidly and accurately, I use my desktop
computer with its more-or-less standard keyboard.  The laptop is still
useful for reading mail, browsing the web, taking meeting minutes and
answering some messages quickly but a little sloppily.  (I edit the minutes
later on a real keyboard).

My LapTalk is near the end of its useful life, so I may be buying something
to replace it in the next few months.  If I do, I'll be certain to look at
prospective purchases in a store, with the most attention being paid to the
keyboard..

Good luck with the learning process.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com