[gui-talk] Blood pressure arm cuff sizes? (was Talking blood pressure and pulse devices?)

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sun Jan 11 22:42:52 UTC 2009

will,

One thing I noticed. On Amazon, the LifeSource models, including the talking
one, clearly have cuffs that go around the bicep or upper arm, however you
want to put it, but they say nothing about variability in cuff sizes.

However, there's another company with a few products like these listed,
sounding very much like the LifeSource units, but they come in different arm
or cuff sizes. Is this something consider? I'm not a man with huge, arms,
and there never seems to have been any problem at the doctor's office
fitting me for a blood pressure reading. but I am aware that, even when I
haven't been doing my bicep curls with hand weights so that my biceps are a
bit bigger and harder when I flex my arm, my upper arms still aren't exactly
"thin."  Is this an issue? Again, I'm not a huge man or a big fat man,
either, and nurses have never had any problem. but should I go to a neighbor
or the nearest tailor with a tape measure and have my upper arm
circumference measured so I see which size group (small, medium or large) I
belong to, as would seem you have to know to order this other brand? Let me
look at the Amazon page to see the name again.

I see now. Never mind the other brand (A&D, it's called(. I see that the
talking LifeSource comes in at least medium and large sizes, giving size in
inches. So I must have someone measure my upper arm, held only slightly bent
at the elbow as I do during this procedure?

thanks.