[gui-talk] winamp 5.5

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 11:26:31 UTC 2009

For those audiophiles on the list, I just purchased winamp 5541pro to get
rid of the annoying little message asking if I wanted to upgrade every time
I played a song.
I tried running it and while it played the song I selected, I discovered I
could not exit the application by hitting alt+F4. I tried a number of things
to get rid of the process and finally resorted to using the task manager and
hitting end task.  This completely hosed my system -- everything froze -- no
sounds played, even system sounds, and since I had no idea what was
happening without seeing the screen, I did a hard reset.
Now things are back running, but I'm afraid of listening to any music.
Did I make a mistake buying this thing? Is it known to be inaccessible? If
so, I wonder if I could get my money back.
In any event, I need to reassign all the file associations if I don't want
this winamp rearing its ugly head every time I need a media player.
Any help is grreatly appreciated!
I set it up with classic skin and installed everything except some agent
that I didn't quite know about, as I didn't want an agent cluttering my
startup.
I hope I can use this thing.  If I get it running I'll tell the list.
TIA
--le