[gui-talk] the new and improved bookshare.org

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 19:40:23 UTC 2009

Hi Joel --
the .bks extensions that was used for the old packages of daisy books was a
proprietary format for which you downloaded a free tool from bookshare.org
to unpack. It both compacted and encrypted the contents, and the books would
each unpack into 5 or 6 files, including a .css file that was the same for
all the books.  The .zip extension is similarly used now for both encryption
and compaction.  You open the zip file and see the component files
comprizing the book, but you can't extract any of them until you enter your
bookshare password. The book then has a digital watermark embedded in it
somewhere that makes it harder to share the book with someone else without
being traced -- assuming anyone shares a book that gets back to someone at
bookshare.
Anyway, not only is the packing mechanism different, but the component files
for a DAISY book are also a little different.
You need a DAISY reader to read the file. You can download the latest
VictorReaderSoft from bookshare for that purpose, or get another alternative
reader. I personally use Freedom Scientific's FSReader and am quite happy
with it, more so than with VRSoft.  But there are maybe a half dozen other
readers.
Hope that answers your question.
--le