[gui-talk] the new and improved bookshare.org

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 00:06:55 UTC 2009

No Joel (oh my name is Laura), the bookshare system is set up as follows:

You go download a book in one of 2 formats: DAISY or BRF -- BRF is braille
format for those who read the book on a braille display.  DAISY which stands
for something like Digital Accessible Information SYstem, is just a
specialized markup that requires special software to read it.  Bookshare.org
provides a free download of VictorReaderSoft to read the DAISY books, but
there are other readers out there that you pay money for.  FSReader was only
$45 when I bought it -- it does a very nice job of reading DAISY.

Now as for encryption, this refers to the password required to extract or
unpack the DAISY files so they can be read. It is just your bookshare.org
password that you type when you go to the bookshare site and log in.
Bookshare zips the files and locks them with your password when you download
the book.

But before this month, bookshare used a different unpacking tool that
unpacked an archive with a .bks extension. You had to download the unpacking
tool from bookshare to use the service. So that makes 3 things downloadable
from bookshare: the old unpacking software (now obsolete), the
VictorReaderSoft program, and your books. The software only needs to be
downloaded once, or periodically as software evolves.

Phew! Hope that is clear.
To make matters worse, RFBD also adds another level of encryption to keep
control of its books. You have to type a pin every time you read the book.
FSReader will read RFBD books, but RFBD also sells an expensive but useful
DAISY player that you can carry around with you and listen to books burned
to CD.

All you ever wanted to know about accessible books but were too busy to
research.
Take care.
--le