[gui-talk] In IE7, Favorites list won't go away when I hit Escape, anymoref

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 23 00:40:42 UTC 2009

The subject line says it all. If I put up the Favorites list with Control I,
and then decide not to click on any of its items, hitting Escape will no
longer get rid of it and leave me on the Web page where I was before I
brought up the list.
I'm mystified. I'll confess that my browser has also developed some other
bad issues, like no longer being able to access slate.com at all, requiring
that I type wwww before latimes.com to go to that site even though it used
to go there if I just typed latimes.com, and a couple of other nasty things.

I'll also say that I know that Firefox is there for the taking, and that
since I guess you can't just do a repair on Internet Explorer, or uninstall
and reinstall it. I think it's integrated into my XP Home O.S.

But I haven't been well, and sorry if this sounds wimpy, but the time and
concentration I'm pretty sure it would require for me to educate myself
about Firefox, learn how to install it, copy my Favorites to it, install
some sort of add-ons or whatever they're called that enhance its operation
with Jaws, that is just too much stuff for me to want to deal with these
days. We're talking not only a benign brain tumor that's disrupted my
balance and makes my head throb constantly, but also congestive heart
failure and me facing a surgery in a few days to receive an ICD implanted in
my chest.

So my wishful thinking is that someone may be able to say something like
"Oh, that happened to me once. Just hit these keys and the Favorites list
will disappear." But otherwise, I have to just exit the browser, or at least
exit that tab page or incidence of IE. Pretty inconvenient, compared too the
way it used to work.

any thoughts? If it sounds as if my copy of Internet Explorer is just
terminally screwed up, and only migrating to Firefox will restore my
previous browser functionality, okay. I'll just deal with the Firefox thing
when I can.

thanks,
Joel