[gui-talk] Problem Using Thunderbird with Vista

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 28 19:33:48 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Thunderbird email program will work with Vista?  I've tried the latest version of Thunderbird 2, beta 1 of Thunderbird 3 and the latest version of the now open source Eudora which is 8.0 beta 5 and none of them seem to work with Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.  I'm using Window-Eyes and when I try to start all of these programs I hear the message "App Starting" which Window-Eyes can say when a program starts but then nothing happens.  This happens with all three email programs and the only way I can close them is to forcibly close the .EXE file associated with each program using a program called Process Explorer which is a greatly enhanced version of the task manager that comes with Windows.  I'm guessing that all three email programs share a lot of the same code seeing they are all Mozilla projects and therefore may all have the same problem when used with Vista.  I don't have access to any other computers running Vista or any other version of Windows so I can't check if this problem happens on other computers.  I think I'd like to switch to Thunderbird if possible so if anyone has a solution to this problem this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
Windows Live Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com