[gui-talk] Magic Jack from Outside the U.s.

Chris & Doris chipmunks at gmx.net
Sat Jun 6 08:23:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

My husband and I live outside the United States. We have several
friends in the U.S. who either do not have a computer or are not able
or willing to put skype or similar software on their boxes.

We therefore call the U.S. on the phone fairly frequently and are
looking for alternatives to this. We currently have a U.S. based
skype-in number which is up for renewal in a couple months. At the
current exchange rate, our skype-in number costs us very roughly
U.S.$90 annually.

We heard about Magic Jack as a much more economical alternative. we
understand that it is possible to call Magic Jack users from computer
to computer for free regardless of their location. We also know that
Magic Jack charges for international calls from within the U.S. to
other countries in addition to the annual subscription fee to Magic Jack.
Our question is if it is possible and legal to use Magic Jack from
outside the United states to call landline and cell phone numbers in
the U.S. without any additional charges  and to receive phone calls
from U.S. phones on the phone number assigned from Magic Jack
regardless of our location with no additional charges for either us
or the caller.

Any information would be much appreciated  - also pointers to sources
of information if this is beyond the scope of this email list.  You
can also mail me off list at

chipmunks at gmx.net

Thanks much.

doris