[gui-talk] IPhone braille input

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Wed Jun 10 13:13:40 UTC 2009

You are talking about accelerometer chips.  Their early mass-production use
was for air bags for cars.  They can be built to sense acceleration in 1, 2
or 3 dimensions.  They are part of a class of devices called
micro-electromechanical systems or MEMS.

Apparently the iPhone 3GS has a compass built into it also.

At 02:11 AM 6/10/2009, you wrote:
>If Apple is employing the sensing mechanism whose name I can't remember
>parameters would be provided.  It's used in many devices to dect changes in
>motion or the device relative to its environment.  I hope someone can supply
>the name of this thing.  It's used in the video game machines that allow
>people to exercise and play tennis.  I believe there's one in the machine
>that runs Guitar Hero too.  Apple uses it in the I phone to keep writing
>right side up even if you have to change the position of the phone.  Please
>someone remember the name of this thing.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.