[gui-talk] Speakers and Amplifiers:

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sat Jun 13 21:10:40 UTC 2009

Hi Don,

late last year, I wanted to upgrade the audio capabilities of my Dell PC
because I play a fair amount of music files on it, and the stock speakers
I'd been bearing with for a couple of years were just too lame to deal with
anymore. I spent a lot of time looking through many types of speaker systems
for a computer on Amazon, over a broad price range and including both
two-speaker systems and ones with a separate subwoofer to handle the bass
tones better. Listed as 2.1 types, like what I bought. I'm sure you don't
need a 5-speaker system. I certainly didn't. I think video gamers and people
who watch movies with good soundtracks on their PC's are into that stuff,
but not me. So these have a subwoofer, which I have sitting on a corner of
my desk and which other people might position on the floor, and the overall
sound is rich and crisp and full.tier All these are self-powered and plug in
to the power strip, which is pretty common.

The ones I finally decided on, and feel pretty happy with, were these:
Altec Lansing VS2521 2.1
and they cost $57 at the time.

I've got a good ear for musical fidelity and find these speakers adequate in
those terms. If I have any complaint, it's that they don't have even a few
more watts of power than they do, because then they could handle the wide
dynamic range of a lot of my classical music and much of my jazz, as well,
where the range of loud to soft is wider than in pop music recordings, and
if you have more power, you don't have to turn up your system all the way to
hear the quieter passages properly, and then blow the top of your head off
when the playing gets louder. I'm not explaining that quite well enough.
Even impeccably-produced pop music is pretty compressed in terms of its
dynamic range, and that isn't a put-down of rock and roll or anything. but
if your needs are mostly about pop music and other stuff that isn't such a
challenge for a stereo system in terms of dynamic range, then these will
sound about fifty times better than what you're hearing now.

Good luck finding something that works for you.