[gui-talk] Yesterday's announcement from the RFB&D

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:50:31 UTC 2009

I spoke to the guy taking care of the NLS pilot project about providing
various navigation levels in their books. He said it wouldn't be possible at
that time as it would require a lot of extra space and more manpower then
they could afford. I guess the situation is still the same.

For a student of, say,  English literature any kind of book can be an object
of serious study. So you can't always distinguish between text books and
books for pleasure reading. But the number of patrons who read all books as
a serious study is too little.
To NLS's credit, they are producing high quality audio and they are doing it
much rapidly than I was expecting. If the choice is between 5000 books a
month with all possible daisy mark ups and 7000 with minimal heading levels,
I will choose the latter.