[gui-talk] JAWS Repair Question

Trev Saunders trev.saunders at gmail.com
Wed May 20 02:30:01 UTC 2009

Hi,

my suggestion is my standard solution for windows boxes that don't
talk and have a reasonably new version of windows.
First you need another box that you can use. use it to download NVDA
on to a USB drive.  NVDA can run from the drive and is free.  You can
find it at nvda-project.org.  On the downloads page there is an option
for the portable version.  Download it will ask where you want it
extracted to tell it to extract to the root directory of a USB drive.
then put the USB drive in the non-talking computer.  Then use the
windows key to get to the start button and type r and enter to get the
run dialog.  note this might be different on vista or the windows 7.0
release candidates.  now windows usually mounts USB drives as *: where
star is between d and j (usually e or f).  So since we don't really
know where windows mounted the drive with NVDA.  We'll try each of d-j
by typing in the run dialog for example d:\nvda.exe if this works nvda
will start and say something at this point you have a screen reader
running on the computer.  If a given letter doesn't work windows will
make the fail sound then you can just escape out and try the start
menu again.
Now we have a screen reader working on this problem computer we can
try installing jaws accept now we have a screen reader to look at what
is happening when the jaws install dies.  At this point I have no idea
what you will find the problem is but you should learn something and
will have a screen reader working on that computer.

Trev