[gui-talk] Should I move to 64 bit with a new PC or laptop soon?

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Sun Sep 6 04:06:00 UTC 2009

By the end of the year, I may very well get a new PC, possibly a robust
laptop that will serve as a replacement for my desktop plus be somewhat
portable. I'm not a big traveler, but there are times when I would like to
be able to use a computer elsewhere than at my formal desk.

Here's what I'm wondering. I have my FS SMA, so I'll be getting Jaws 11 when
all you Beta jockeys have had your fun with it and it's released. And,
reluctantly, I'm willing to move up from Word 2000 to 2007, and I'm planning
to upgrade to IE8 from IE 7, also. I currently use OE 6 for email, and i
know that won't be possible with a newer OS, so I'll have to learn to use
whatever comes with my new OS. Windows 7, I suppose.

Having said all that, can anyone say if it would seem pretty reasonable to
move to 64 bit for my Windows 7, as long as I can get those applications to
be compatible? I know there's a Jaws version for 64 bit, for example, and if
I get the computer with Windows 7 and Office 2007, everything oughta be
compatible. Won't I get faster processing and lighter battery use, when the
machine's unplugged, than if I stuck with 32 bit?

Of course I'll be looking at a sufficiently up to date chip, dual core, and
so forth, and sufficient RAM, although I don't know whether 2 Gb will
suffice or I should get twice or four times that. Suggestions from the
experienced are welcome.

Not an emergency. Just trying to plan for the near future.

Joel