[gui-talk] ms anti virus program

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 02:15:11 UTC 2010

Hi. I use the free Microsoft solution, called Security Essentials and
it's very accessible. It mainly sits in the background and after the
initial configuration and setting up of a scan schedule, you really
don't have to do anything wiht it. As for effectiveness, I haven't yet
had any problems with it, for what that's worth. When it came out last
fall, I read recommendations for this solution from a couple of major
tech sources, such as Ars Technica and Paul Thurrott from the Windows
Weekly podcast and the WinSuperSite, among other things. Ars Technica
had great things to say about this antivirus and antispyware option,
including the fact that it did a better job with fewer resources than
the Windows Live OneCare suite of security solutions. I rarely had any
issues with Norton Antivirus back when I was using that, and didn't
have any issues with OneCare. I haven't had anything pop up with this
Security Essentials and I've got it on my home PC and my netbook, both
running JAWS. Your milage may vary I suppose, but hey, it's free so
what do you have to lose? Also, Security Essentials integrates very
well with Windows Update in keeping your system up to date with
patches and security issues from Microsoft.

Jmt,
Wayne

--
Follow me on Twitter at: