[gui-talk] tearing my hair out

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 03:58:43 UTC 2010

Greetings all --
I wonder if anyone here has dealt with live.com to manage their email
addresses.
I have to use live.com because my ISP requires it, but the tech support
people (scattered around the world) don't seem familiar enough with the
pages I'm on to answer my questions.  They follow me through a session with
my screen reader, then take me off to some strange unrelated page trying to
do something I don't want...at which point I start over and they follow me
with my screen reader as I do what I am trying to do, which is to set up a
set of logins for various uses.
On the surface it looks as if it should be accessible -- even down to the
audio captcha, but the captcha has a gotcha -- the user has to open a
separate window to play the audio, then type in the numbers, then close the
window and the numbers are copied into the visual captcha, which uses
different characters, so the strings don't match. I know this from sighted
family members. There is no way to get past the captcha unless I install
firefox and get whatever that add-on is.
Is there an IE add-on that solves captchas?
I really have to solve this problem as it affects both personal and business
logins.
I can't believe how many brick walls I have hit on this site. It's like
playing a game of rogue!  The captchas are only one problem.
So any knowledgeable advice is welcome.
TIA!
--le