[gui-talk] question for everyone

hmp humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Sun Feb 7 20:19:17 UTC 2010

This is a very good topic to discuss. Jobs can be very hard to
seek for, and if you are blind, you get a harder experience. Nice
Job, however, this is off-topic for this mailing list. If you are
talking about things about getting a job as a programmer or a
computer person, that can be on-topic. Sorry to disregard you or
interrupt the topic you are talking about, but be careful of
which topics you discuss on this list. This is a list for the
computers and computer users, and also for technology. Again,
getting into the topic, great questions, but here are some
resources you can get started on to discuss more about that job
topic:
There is a list on the same web site (NFB) which is the
jobs at nfbnet.org list and you can get more info about jobs there.
you can also find a list out there to ask about general blindness
topics:
blindtlk at nfbnet.org.  you can ask any question there too. Please
apologize me for interrupting your good topic, and, you may use
the resources I provided above for more information. Thank you.
Have a lucky day.

This is
>difficult for folks for various reasons, including lack of
experience,
>lack of confidents in your abilities as someone with a
disability, lack
>of education, or just plain personality issues.  However, you
have to be
>determined that you "want" to work, are supposed to work, and
make a
>life for yourself just like everyone else is expected to, and it
will
>come in one way or another.  Once that's out of the way, you will
be
>surprised at how many paths to the jobs there are, but you have
to be
>open to looking for your kind of work in various paths.

>What are you good at?
>What have you been trained for?
>What contacts do you have so far?
>It does make a difference who knows you, as much as who you know.

>Helping others and making connections/networking gets you out
there for
>others to think of when the time is right.
>Don't settle for an entry level job, but don't ignore them if it
gets
>you started-people all start somewhere, and what job you start
with
>generally does not lock you in-but can give you contacts,
connections,
>and experience to draw upon.
>Employers look for experience, and will take that in to account
over
>education mostly, since they want work, not just education.

>Understand the company and work they do before appearing for an
>interview.
>Always ensure you are on time, look professional, and answer
questions
>put to you-not just rerouting your answers to your positive
issues.
>Remember, sometimes a job isn't right for you, not your fault and
not a
>bad thing.  An employer who doesn't take you for one job might
remember
>you when another more matching job comes around and let you hear
about
>it.

>You *will* have to tell the interviewer how you can do the work
in most
>cases since in so many situations they'll be interviewing a blind
person
>as a courtesy, not because they really think you are the right
one for
>the job.

>As someone who has gotten jobs, and also who as interviewed and
hired
>employees, I can tell you, that knowing how to do a job,
answering the
>interviewers questions honestly, and demonstrating your ability
to get
>the job done is the path to success.  Federal and State
governments are
>excellent places to look for work because they have Programs
looking to
>put people with disabilities in to jobs, where as commercial
employers
>don't really often feel this is their mandate.

>You should look for commercial employers who do business with the
>government, and get a job with one if possible, because that can
often
>get you in the door to a government job which may be more stable
over
>the long run.

>Learn how things work in your field of work, and even in
others-thinking