[gui-talk] inaccessible software continued

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Feb 16 19:40:27 UTC 2010

Allen and James,

There are things in this discussion that also hit me wrong, but I also know that we must be careful not to write off the possibility of further progress in terms of our
access to documents and processes.  With so many processes changing, including the entire infrastructure of information provision, this is the time for us to work to
be included in the planning and development of new processes.

Having said that, it is possible that James is not aware of the fact that it was felt not all that many years ago that blind people could not be legally and financially
responsible for ourselves.  It was thought that since we couldn't read, we could not be responsible.  There were blind persons whose parents retained control of their
finances even after they had reached adulthood.  What evolved was the concept that we were responsible to get the information we need to make decisions about
ourselves.  In the process of making claims that we don't have the content intended by an author, we must be careful not to unintentionally develop the idea that if
something is not accessible we cannot be responsible for our role in the process it represents.  While working toward equal access, we have to protect the idea that
we are responsible to what the strengths and weaknesses are of whatever system we use to access information.  We have to be the ones to determine when it
might make sense to pay a reader or to ask that one be provided.  If someone intentionally creates a form that misrepresents the data to those of us who are blind,
we should be able to call that out and take legal action, but we need to be aware of the limitations of our assistive technology to know when we should be asking
more questions.

The voter registration examples are interesting.  If the forms are not accessible and if personnel are unwilling to help a blind person register, there might be a case.
However, I don't know that I see this issue as black and white as that the only way to make voter registration accessible is through the use of a computerized form.
If JFW is a poll tax, then isn't the computer itself a poll tax?  I agree, by the way, that accessibility should not be based on tailoring a form for one screen reader, the
solution should be more generic than that.  Yet, it isn't overly difficult to make one or several forms accessible.  The trick is to figure out how to automatically make
thousands of forms accessible and to be able to do it in a timely and cost-effective manner.  James, you have said elsewhere that you have an approach that can
make all documents accessible.  I assume that is what you are talking about here when you talk about the voter registration system.  You have said other places
that you cannot reveal too many details because of patent considerations.  Some of what you write here seems very much as though you are trying to develop a
demand for your process.  This isn't unreasonable, but since your process is unknown to us, it is difficult for us to know how effective it really is, how expensive it is,
how time-consuming it is or even how effective it is.  However, it has been my experience that when promises sound too good to be true, they usually are.  That isn't
always because those making the promises don't mean to keep them, but factors are often more complicated than is sometimes known.

As we move into the future, we are going to need to find ways to apply pressure to raise the visibility of accessibility.  This means we need to get those creating
documents to take us into account, but it also means that we need to push our assistive technology to handle new types of data.  There is likely always going to be
a gap because things are changing that will mean that some data will not be all that accessible.  Therefore, we can't forget, as blind people, how to use multiple
alternatives to get the information that we need to be responsible for ourselves.  Therefore, as I see it, we have a balancing act to execute.  We need to keep up
the pressure for more access, but we do not want to paint the picture that without access we are completely helpless.  We have to be mindful of all of the
consequences of how we portray the importance of accessibility.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson