[gui-talk] Microsoft security essentials

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 11 17:03:44 UTC 2010

Good morning, Dave and List.

While Dave raises an excellent point, I have heard plenty of Mac bashing
among PC users in my day, so there appears to be plenty of fire exchanged
across the IT border. That being said, I do have a couple of concerns about
Mac-OS. First, Mac seems to be somewhat more proprietary in being able to
install and use third party applications, which leaves Mac users less free
than IBM-compatible PC users to do so. Secondly, if a Mac user wants to send
documents to a PC user and can only use IWork or the Open Office word
processor, the recipient probably will not be able to open the document. If
the only workaround solution to this document sharing dilemma is for the
MAC/OS user to install Windows, it seems to be an inefficient use of memory
and disk storage space to run dual OS's. Another approach is possibly to use
online collaboration software. An example is Google Chrome which offers a
fairly robust online collaboration feature, but it appears to have limited
functioning with JAWS. I can't speak to how well Google Chrome would do with
Window-Eyes or any of the newer open source screen readers, so I would have
to regard online collaboration as an emerging solution that appears not to
be ready for prime time. From what I have read and heard, however, online
collaboration is undoubtedly an emerging trend in IT and one for which I
hope screen reader developers will be ready to meet the technical challenges
that will come with it. Obviously, once online collaboration becomes an
efficient method for swapping documents and audio/video files, these
limitations will be obviated. As for Apple-Macintosh's proprietary approach
to third party applications, I am not optimistic of prospects for change
unless current Mac users demand it in a unified way and vote with their
pocket books to put teeth into their demands. My doubts are further
exacerbated by the human condition itself, i.e., we are all creatures of
habit  and the Newtonian law of inertia often rears its ugly head to resist
changing to another OS, which is at the foundation of the OS war, which
continues to play out beyond blind computerists. Lastly, I will say that
Apple has done a superior job of keeping their OS and applications
consistently accessible during the continuing to add more functionality and
featurres to the OS and applications.

Thus endeth my exigesis on the PC versus Mac controversy. Have a great day
and try to stay dry. We are in a torrential downpour here in the Sunflower
State.

Very best regards,
Rob Tabor and White Cane Raúl