[gui-talk] Freedom Scientific Reduces Price of Focus 40Blue Braille Display by 38%

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 01:20:33 UTC 2010

Hi all.
I bought a brailliant a while back after the first general drop in prices
for braille displays.  The price of the brailliant remained high and the
manufacturers were unaware of the current market. I ended up haggling the
price down by pointing out the price of some of the other displays. I don't
think the brailliant has any great advantage over any other to justify the
price they were charging. It's just that they were new when I bought mine.
Now I wish I had waited.
I am disappointed with my brailliant, mainly because the battery needs to be
replaced by the techs if you let the charge go completely out of it. I have
done this twice -- once when I moved and it didn't get unpacked for months,
and another time when I went a stretch without using it.  That's well over
$200 a shot for letting the battery run out. Very annoying.
Anyway, for those shopping for a braille display, add that to your list of
things to ask about.
Happy brailling.
--le