[gui-talk] Windows 7 and total loss of sound

Christo de Klerk cjdk at mweb.co.za
Sun Dec 4 07:34:16 UTC 2011

I am running Windows 7 on a desktop. There are no sensors on my keyboard and
it does not have an FN key like laptops have. But yes, It is possible that
some circumstance is muting sound, but if that is so, my problem is how to
unmute it without sound. My PC always chooses to do this when there are no
seeing eyes available.

Oh and I have been able to prove that the PC does not freeze when this
happens, because keyboard commands work. Pressing the Windows ke followed by
tab twice followed by Enter turns off the computer. When I look at my hard
disk light with a light probe, it shows me that there is disk activity when
I give keyboard commands, such as closing and opening Window-Eyes. The
clincher is a test which, when I press a hotkey, executes a batch file which
writes to a file just saying Loss of speech. So, the PC is running fine. Now
if only I knew how to get back sound.

Yesterday this happened. All I was doing at the time, was to arrow down a
list of messages in ThunderBird and suddenly, silence.

Kind regards

Christo