[gui-talk] Unabel to Access Target.com

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Dec 23 14:23:18 UTC 2011

As frustrating as this is, it isn't exactly an accessibility issue and probably does not violate
accessibility agreements.  However, I tend to think there is a web page problem, or they may well have
to change back because of general problems this may cause people.  Whatever the reason, this is a dirty
thing to do just before Christmas.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:48:12 -0500, Gerald Levy wrote:

>A few years ago, the NFB successfully sued Target to force them to make its web site more accessible to
blind consumers.  So imagine my surprise when I attempted to visit Target.com today and got the
following error message:

>Target Home Page

>Problems viewing Target.com ?
>It's because your browser isn't supported. Upgrade to one of the latest versions listed below to get
the most out of your Target.com experience.
>list of 3 items
>Click here to download Internet Explorer
>Click here to download Mozilla Firefox
>Click here to download Google Chrome
>list end

>What the heck is going on here?  What do they mean that my browser is not supported?  I'm running XP
Pro with IE 8, so since when is this browser not supported?  IE 8 is the latest version of Internet
Explorer that can run under XP, which, the last time I checked will continue to be supported by
Microsoft through at least 2014.  And don't even get me started with Firefox.  What is the meaning of
this?  Will the NFB have to go after Target yet again?  Or is there some other explanation for this
message?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.