[gui-talk] Office 2010 Difficulty

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Mar 2 19:19:08 UTC 2011

Greetings.

I'm having a frustrating time with one aspect of Office 2010.  I'm using a HP 64-bit machine running Windows 7 and the latest version of JAWS 12.  The problem is this:  when using Outlook to compose or reply to a message or when composing a document in Word, I begin to type and suddenly find myself in either a new message, a new Word document or a dialog such as "find and replace".  It's as if when typing, the cursor is being moved around and lands in other fields.  This happens especially when I am typing quickly (over 120 wpm).  I don't know if this is a JAWS problem or an Office 2010 problem.  I initially thought it was the former but I started a document, unloaded JAWS and kept typing and eventually ended up in another field anyway so it may be a Windows 7 problem or one with my machine.

Also, occasionally Outlook or another program becomes unresponsive for a few seconds.  JAWS still talks but it takes a while for the program to wake up.

Has anyone else encountered these problems and, if so, what was the solution?  And saying "get Window-eyes" isn't the answer I'm looking for as this may not even be a screen-reader problem although I wonder.

T I A!

Mike Freeman
sent from my iPhone