[gui-talk] leaving computer turned on

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Fri May 13 05:13:19 UTC 2011

I personally believe it saves on hard drive wear and tear to leave a
computer on all the time, because startup and spin-down is harder on a
drive than the constant whirring of just being active.  As Flash
drives become popular as main storage, this of course won't matter.
Electronics do prefer constancy in temperature though, so even though
the effect of this nowadays is probably negligible, I think leaving a
machine on may be easier on the electronics as well.  The only thing
that doesn't like being left on all the time, in my opinion, is the
fan - case fan, power supply fan, CPU fan, whatever.  Fans are
probably better at handling that now then years ago too though.