[gui-talk] texting with K-NFB reader phone.

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 16 04:47:04 UTC 2011

Hi Ed and list.
I have sent and received many text messages with my Nokia N82 with the use
of Talks screen reader, so this is the first thing to note. Neither texting
nor any other usual feature of a mobile phone will  be available to you
without either the Talks or Mobile Speak screen reader, either of which is
around $400 or $500. I believe evaluation or demo versions of both screen
readers are available for download from
www.blindsea.com
Once logged on you then go to the Third Party Third Edition software link
and activate to find several 3G mobile apps including Nokia PC suite which
you will definitely be advantageous for you to have if you decide to
purchase one of the Nokia mobile phones as a platform to run the KNFB
Reader. The KNFB reader app has a SAPI 4 speech driver, but you lose speech
once the KNFB Reader app is retired. Many of the KNFB Reading Technologies,
Inc authorized dealers often bundle a screen reader with their KNFB Reading
system which would obviate the need to download and install a demo version
of a mobile screen reader unless you want to try the screen reader program
that was not included in the package deal.

As for the texting process, it will be necessary to enter text with
multi-tapping on the keypad unless you opt for a blue tooth qqwerty keyboard
but you will want to make sure it handshakes with your cell phone.

I hope this is helpful.
Best regards,
Rob Tabor & Guide Cane Raúl Junior