[gui-talk] MS security essentials

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Sep 19 23:16:16 UTC 2011

I also like VIPRE Antivirus.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of GREGORY ROSENBERG
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:57 PM
To: Discussion of the Graphical User Interface, GUI Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [gui-talk] MS security essentials

On Sep 18, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Don H wrote:

> I am running the latest version of Microsoft Security essentials on my
Windows 7 64 bit machine.  I think I have everything set to automatically
update the virus definition files yet the only way I can get the updates is
by using Windows update and installing the security essentials updates.
> I have the same setup on a Vista 32 bit machine and Security essentials
updates automatically without using Windows update.
> Anyone else having this problem?

Ensure that Automatic Updates service (wuauserv) and Background Intelligent
Transfer Service (BITS) is running. When making the virus database update,
Microsoft Security Essentials depends on the Automatic Update service
(wuauserv) and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).

Make sure you schedule a job to update the signatures 30 minutes prior to
your scheduled daily scan.

Run a manual update from Microsoft Security Essentials "Update" tab.

Run "regedit" and navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/Microsoft Antimalware/Signature
Updates. In the right pane, double click on the SignatureUpdateVariable.By
default, it's value is 24. Change this value in any number between 1-24. I
personally have it check several times a day. So I use a value of four
hours. Make sure to reboot your system after updating the registry, as
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is a memory based registry hive. It only gets committed
to disk and reloaded into memory with the new values after a reboot.

I highly recommend installing Malware Bytes' and buying the $22 license. The
combination work extremely well together. And Malware Bytes' catches much
more Malware than MSE. The combination has a rather low foot on memory and
CPU compared to other solutions I have used.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask more
questions.

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/gui-talk_nfbnet.org/gregg%40ricis.com

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are
intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally
privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is
that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message
or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message
and please delete it from your computer.