[gui-talk] eftps site accessibility

Hoffman, Allen Allen.Hoffman at HQ.DHS.GOV
Mon Feb 13 18:25:26 UTC 2012

I think there are limits to expectations of instant access.  It is
simply not reasonable in my view to expect that as a blind person you
won't have to handle printed materials now and then, and you should take
steps to address that in your life.  While I also think the IRS could
provide alternative authentication solutions for people who can't access
the printed material, such as cell phone validation of text message,
etc.  The point of the printed physical item is most likely to bring the
authentication level up to two factor--e.g. something you have, and
something you know.  Sometimes to acheive all goals some have to give
and sometimes we can't achieve them all simultaneously.  I think the
points of can this work better are sound points, but doing it with an
attitude like the IRS doesn't care is a poor approach in my view.  IRS
employs more blind folks in comparison to almost any other employer so
definitely knows some about meeting needs of visually impaired.  This
may be an oversight, or a simple adherence to reality that they need two
factor authentication and this is the shortest path to success.  Braille
alternative outputs would be nice, but do you think they would be
reliable--I think it would be a big expense on the government for such a
small activity.  If there was standard way to do this I'd be all for
getting IRS onboard--or they could be seen as a pioneer if they take
this up and find a solution.  so at the end of the day I'd suggest
promoting accessibility without the chip on the shoulder since it
probably will get more results.  I realize somedays the continual
frustration of one stupid inaccessibility after another can wear you
down, but frankly, problems are not the domain of the disabled alone.

anyway take a step back and encourage IRS to provide alternatives for
you, but don't expect them this year.

Allen Hoffman