[gui-talk] APH's Money Talks and the Internet

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Nov 22 03:39:06 UTC 2012

Greetings.

I just installed the latest version of Money Talks from the American
Printing House for the Blind. I really like the program. However, I have
encountered a problem: I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a HP DVD7
Pavillioan laptop with JAWS 14 and Microsoft Security Essentials as my
antivirus package (I was using VIPRE but it got too invasive and slowed my
system down). Even though there's no update to Money Talks, I thought I'd
see if "check for updates" works. However, Money Talks complains that I
don't have an Internet connection. Huh? I most certainly do; I'm hard-wired
to a router which goes to a cable modem and voila.

So what gives? I added Money Talks to the programs allowed by windows
Firewall to make outbound connections. But the thing still says I'm not on
the Internet. Any ideas?

TIA.

Mike Freeman