[gui-talk] FW: [WebAIM] Survey, how do screen reader users navigate within websites

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Jan 16 16:13:44 UTC 2013

-------- Original Message --------

[WebAIM] Survey, how do screen reader users navigate within websites

Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:31:34 -0500

Birkir R. Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com><mailto:birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com>

WebAIM Discussion List <webaim-forum at list.webaim.org><mailto:webaim-forum at list.webaim.org>

WebAIM Discussion List <webaim-forum at list.webaim.org><mailto:webaim-forum at list.webaim.org>

Hello listers.

Me and my colleague are carrying out research into how much users take

advantage of structural markup on websites (headings, landmarks, table

navigation).

We want to get as much feedback as possible, from a diverse user group

of screen reader users.

This is part of a research project e are working on, which also

includes field test with users.

We are hoping this may lead to online tutorials, videos or other

material that will help ensure screen reader users can take advantage

of this type of markup.

(I know we concentrate on screen reader users for this particular

survey, but we are hoping to perhaps do similar things in future to

make sure users can fully take advantage of WCAG compliant and

accessible websites).

You can access the survey at the following link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XGC33NV

The survey consists of 9 questions, should take about 5 minutes to

complete, and users may not know all the answers (in fact, we suspect

they may not), and should not be embarrassed about it (for one thing

the survey is totaly anonymous).

Feel free to distribute (and also free not to).

I'll share the results with you, both at CSUN and on this list.

Hopefully we can turn this into another tool to help encourage

accessible webpage design, UA interpretation and, ultimately,

something to benefit some of our end users.

Cheers

-B