[gui-talk] office 2010 accessibility question

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue May 21 10:22:41 UTC 2013

My employer is deploying office 2010 with all protection features enabled
and that makes what documents you write protected.  The same has been done
with latest version of acrobat.  When it was done with the latest version
of acrobat, it made the enable all features button invisible to jaws once
a document was opened and jaws couldn't read the document but did read the
document's title and it became impossible to set up and run an
accessibility check on that same document.  The tools->accessibility I was
able to do then jaws went non-verbal and so did the focus 80 display.  The
worse problem is that read outloud won't work with protected documents in
pdf form.  All of this is being done for security reasons.  The Chinese
have been getting into my employer's systems and modifying files
regularly.  So what I need to know about office 2010 is if jaws is able to
read a document that is protected and sent to me for reading, acrobat is
already a lost cause.  If protected documents cannot be read, it may be
necessary for me to find another employer that doesn't use this
technology.