[gui-talk] changing settings in I.E. 8 to remember my user name

Gregory D. Rosenberg gregg at ricis.com
Thu Mar 27 15:40:14 UTC 2014

Good morning Sherri, Mike,

Likely you need to allow cookies for the website in which you want to permanently store a given web sites passwords. There are different methods that browsers and sites interact with each other. Many sites require the use of Persistent Cookies to save passwords. Not all sites require the use of Cookies to save passwords.

Please see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/block-or-allow-cookies.

"What are Persistent cookies?"

"Persistent cookies (or saved cookies) remain on your computer after you close Internet Explorer. Websites use them to store information, such as a sign-in name and password so that you don't have to sign in each time you go to a particular site. Persistent cookies can remain on your computer for days, months, or even years."

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cookies-faq#1TC=windows-7

Although IE 11 is out I would highly recommend not installing any version above IE 10. Although IE 11 is the latest and greatest, there are many websites and services that it does not work with. Frankly I only use IE for sites that require it. I much prefer Google Chrome or Firefox.

JAWS 15.0.8021 (March 2014) fixes some issues with IE 11; however, caveat emptor.

The choice is critically dependent on what screen reader you are using. I am on a MAC and use Voice Over and therefore I tend to use Safari the most. I also use Chrome a lot for sites that struggle with IE.

I have a Windows 7 and Windows 8 virtual workstations running under VMware Fusion. I am using Window Eyes on them. I also use it on all of my servers so I can use Window Eyes remotely from my workstation to the servers.

On Mar 26, 2014, at 22:57 CDT, <rcubfank at sbcglobal.net> <rcubfank at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Is there going to be a new version of ie soon?
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Mike Freeman
> Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:27 AM
> To: 'Discussion of the Graphical User Interface,GUI Talk Mailing List'
> Subject: Re: [gui-talk] changing settings in I.E. 8 to remember my user name
>
> I doubt you need to change anything in IE. I note you're using JAWS 12 and
> IE 8. That's three versions behind the current one on JAWS and 2 behind the
> current one on IE. It may be that the web sites you're frequenting may not
> work with IE 8. I've run into several of those when I worked.
>
> I just wouldn't worry about it; just write down the username and enter when
> required.
>
> Mike

P.S. Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund via your phone bill.

--
73' & 75'
Gregory D. Rosenberg AB9MZ
gregg at ricis.com

RICIS, Inc.
7849 Bristol Park Drive
Tinley Park, IL 60477-4594
http://www.ricis.com

708-267-6664 Cell
708-444-2690 Office
708-444-1115 Fax (Call First)
We are tired of SPAM faxes.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer.