[gui-talk] NV Access Announces Release of NVDA 2014.1

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Thu Mar 27 17:23:43 UTC 2014

All:

Until someone puts up an actual features list and then completes answers for at least NVDA, JAWS, and Windows Eyes this thread is a waste of text.  I am working on building such a list which can be maintained for use.  Each screen reader has a list of features, each has unique features to offer for specific situations and end-user audiences, and each has a different price point.  For my two cents worth NVDA does almost everything I need at home, could do almost everything I need at work.  JAWS will meet my needs at home well and at work mostly, but pricing is a challenge for home use.  Windows eyes would meet my needs at home well and mostly at work as well, but again pricing can be challenging if you are not using the free version.  Windows eyes browser support could be improved, and NVDA could improve some in Office.  I'd like to see someone have a working touchscreen keyboard input solution for Windows 8 tablets soon as it kind of defeats the tablet purpose to have to connect a keyboard.  JAWS has great interoperability with Magic which is not the case with NVDA or Windows Eyes.  JAWS has great multi-lingual support, but then I believe NVDA  has great multilingual support as well.  I honestly don't know about windows eyes multilingual support so can't comment.  NVDA, JAWS, and Windows eyes all have solid scriptability, but JAWS scripters are more commonly available, while the others can be driven by more common programming languages.  So, when ou all post simplistic analysis of this market you are not thinking about what the products offer, what their end-user audiences do en masse, and aren't really being helpful for a wide range of decision-makers.  I do believe the days of expensive screen reading software for average daily use is coming to a close as the common denominator of features can be had for free now on multiple platforms.  For costly solutions meeting specific challenging customer needs will have to be the selling point--as it always has been.  In the starting days of Windows screen readers "any" feature was helpful, but now it's a mature market with only nitch features to fill the gaps.