[gui-talk] identifying a speech synthesizer

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed Sep 3 17:52:12 UTC 2014

I was distressed to find that the "history of speech synthesis project" pages of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History have been moved somewhere I haven't found.
But the article entitled "Votrax" on Wikipedia
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Votrax
should answer most of these questions.  The first dozen or so Kurzweil Reading Machines must have used an early Votrax synthesizer board.  When they built 50 or more units, they switched to a CompuTalker synthesizer, I think.  In the mid to late 1970s, a Votrax synthesizer cost a few thousand dollars.  The Type 'n Talk, released in 1980 or 81, was a huge price break, but didn't sound quite as good, either.  The rest is history.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.