[gui-talk] Fwd: more TV providers provide talking menus for blind subscribers

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 11:55:07 UTC 2016

Well, you can essentially kiss the Telecommunications Accessibility Act
goodbye.  The current FCC Chairman, Tom Wheeler, whill be stepping down on
Jan. 20, and his successor, appointed by the incoming president-elect is
likely to favor less government regulationof the airwaves and minimal
enforcement of FCC rules. So there will not be any pressure on the cable
companies or TV manufacturers to make their products blind accessible.
Anyone who believes otherwise is living in a dream world.  So unless your
cable provider already offers accessible boxes, you will probably have a
very long wait to get one.  Spectrum Cable, which has been bombarding local
TV stations in New York City to introduce itself and proclaim ""a new day"
for cable TV service, still has absolutely no plans to offer accessible
boxes any time soon, and now there will be little pressure on them to do so.

Gerald