[gui-talk] sling TV

Hoffman, Allen allen.hoffman at hq.dhs.gov
Wed Sep 21 11:53:11 UTC 2016

I use slingTV on my Apple TV 4th gen.

Here is my review.

The Apple TV 4th gen is "very" accessible, and in fact I don't think I know of a function I can't perform.  I do recommend folks get an Apple wireless keyboard for typing in any search terms or such as its just way easier even with the Siri speech input.

The sling app for Apple TV was partially accessible on the most recent previous release of Apple TV OS, however is not functional at all with the current Apple TV OS release--just deployed in last couple weeks.  The Sling app closes if VoiceOver is enabled so no functionality is available from the Apple TV Sling app for those needing VoiceOver.  Have not tried it with magnification as I'm totally blind.

Prior to this the Sling app was partially accessible:
The On Now grid was not intuitive but would list what was on.
The guide does not label channels, just numbers and you get to figure out which number maps to what channel.  To make matters worse they change number and order of channels available in the guide without warning so memorizing them while annoying isn't particularly helpful.
The start from beginning or start in progress selections do not read outloud or at all, you get to guess.

There are more inaccessible components but frankly Sling needs to get with the Program and fix this now as its just ridiculous they can't get it right and keep it right.  So far the support from Sling is making usual excuses call Apple, lets see if its your fault, etc.  To date I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it just doesn't work on latest TVOS release--very disappointing.

Allen Hoffman