[GUI-Talk] Headings in word

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:36:36 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how to turn off a heading in ms word.

I know I can make a heading by hitting alt control and the number of the heading I want. The thing I noticed is that the entire paragraph gets turned into the heading.

I frequently read line by line, by using the down arrow. I am using Jaws 18 with Windows 10. I find when I try to read an entire paragraph sometimes I will miss an important detail, and have to use the arrow keys anyway, and it ends up taking more time than if I just read line by line.

If the entire paragraph is marked as a heading then jaws will say "heading level 1" or 2 or 3 etc, at the beginning of each line, which I find annoying, distracting, and time consuming.

I've been trying to make headings, where just the first line is marked as a heading. If I make sure to separate out that section and then mark it as a heading it works, but on a number of occasions I have inadvertently turned a long passage into a heading.

I tried hitting alt control and the number of the heading to toggle the heading off, but that did not work. I also went to the place where I wanted the heading to stop, and then hit enter, but the new paragraph ends up with the same heading as it had before, and then I have two paragraphs with the same heading.

If anyone knows how to undo a heading selection I would appreciate knowing how to do this. I tried looking it up online, but all I found were examples using the ribbon and "clickin" on the clear format button. How do I do this with hot keys.

So far, I've had to exit the document without saving to undo the mistake, and this is very time consuming, and has resulted in lost work.

Kind regards,
Ben