[GUI-Talk] How to Stop Grouping Items with JAWS

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 1 20:20:03 UTC 2019

This is inspired by Jim's question about reversing alphabetical order.

A few weeks ago, I grouped items by name in a folder and didn't realize it
until, every time I went to a different letter, a menu popped up that said
"A-j," etc.

So here's how I stopped it. You can use this trick if you grouped items by
any other category, too.

1. On the folder you accidentally grouped, deselect all items. If all items
are deselected, leave as is. If you aren't sure the items are deselected,
press Insert and Tab, and make sure you hear JAWS say, "not selected."

2. While all items are deselected, press Shift and F10 to go to the context
menu.
3. Press P to open the "Group By" submenu.
4. Press Down Arrow until you hear JAWS say, "(None.")
5. Press Enter.

Now, the "name" menu (or whatever category you grouped accidentally) will no
longer show up.

Jen